Friday, July 24, 2009

Getting to know the person, Dr. Debbie Delaney



How did you come to honeybees for your life's work?

"I used to be in art school and I basically went to college to draw human beings but then I fount insects a lot more fascinating and more interesting to draw, and so I switched over to insects and while I was there I realized that I wanted to LEARN about insects. So I went to school for entomology, I switched schools, becoming an art school drop out, and um, I took a general entomology course and there was this class devoted to honey bees and I immediately was fascinated. I got bee fever, I found out right after class, how fast I could get a colony of my own."

Dr. Delaney went on to get one hive or a nucleus hive, and that grew into 70 which became the foundation for her bee business.
She also likes them because, "They are fuzzy." :)



(the picture above is NOT Dr. Delaney's personally, it is just a good example of what her's looked like)
Dr. Delaney doesn't mention it, but while getting her Masters she lived in Oregon and went to school there. Meanwhile her and her husband lived together in a small, sustainable house called a yurt. A yurt is circular nomadic structure and commonly used on the steppes of Central Asia.

In the center of her own yurt, Dr. Delaney and her witty sense of humor painted a mariner's compass. "That way I could refer to my kitchen as being in the west wing and the sitting area in the east wing. It was very fun," Delaney said.
Dr. Delaney also has three children and has done a spectacular job raising them. She says that they have helped her keep her footing, her bearings and her priorities on what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment